Follow this easy 15 minute recipe for great tasting asparagus, every time.
Don't let other asparagus recipes from around the internet fool you. They are not very good. Here is a tried and true method for making great tasting asparagus that will leave your friends begging for the secret.
Make sure you have all these items before starting
- Fresh asparagus. It doesn't keep long, so buy it and use it with in a few days
- An oven that can broil at 500°F
- Large crystal white salt (not Himalayan) - Mediterranean is preferred
- Large resealable bag (ziplock)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cooking/baking sheet or pan
Start by preheating your oven. Set it to broil at 500°F, and do these remaining steps while your oven is preheating.
Get out a bundle of asparagus, remove any rubber bands, and rinse it under cool water for about 30 seconds. Next, use two hands to bend each stalk and snap the bases off. Do not use a knife to cut the asparagus bottoms, just bend them and they will break naturally. Put the good ends into a large resealable bag (ziplock freezer bags work well), and discard the separated bases.
Pour a an ounce of extra virgin olive oil into the bag, and add the large crystal salt. Add more than a pinch, but don't overdo it on the salt (a half teaspoon should do). The goal is to have the salt dissolve in the olive oil. Once the oil and salt are added, move the bag from side to side so the contents mix and the stalks are covered in oil.
Lay a sheet of tinfoil on a cooking sheet or pan. Fold up the edges slightly to avoid olive oil leaking onto the pan (makes for easy cleanup).
Next, empty the asparagus onto the tinfoil. There will be extra olive oil and salt remaining in the ziplock - throw the bag away. Arrange the asparagus so they are not touching each other (or barely touching). Air between the stalks helps them cook consistently. Do not not add additional salt (it already has all it needs). Once your oven is preheated to satisfaction, use an oven mitt to place the sheet or pan containing the asparagus onto the middle rack of the oven. Close the door and set a kitchen timer for 9 minutes, 30 seconds. The oven will be extremely hot, use caution.
- Do not cook the asparagus for more than 10 minutes. 9:30 - 9:45 is the perfect amount of time. If it is in the oven for 10 minutes, IT IS TOO LONG!!!
- Be sure to use large crystal salt. Mediterranean salt works best. Small crystal, or regular size table salt, DOES NOT WORK WELL!!!
- Remove the bottoms of the stalks by bending them, DO NOT CUT!!!
Follow these exact steps and you will be serving up great tasting asparagus for your friends and family to enjoy, time and time again...
Comments are currently turned off
2 people liked this.